MS Views and News / Stu's Views & MS News
Provides education, information & resources for those affected by Multiple Sclerosis
Is designed to help, motivate, & inspire those with multiple sclerosis to stay as active as possible - physically, intellectually and socially - regardless of physical limitations.
Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis.net. Register to stay informed on all the latest MS News, participate in forums...
Other MS Bloggers:
- Jon Chandonnet, http://www.jonchandonnet.com/
- Lisa Dasis, http://www.mslisasays.com/
- Yvonne Desousa, http://yvonnedesousa.com/blog/
- Lisa Emrich, http://www.brassandivory.org/
- Laura Kolaczkowski, http://insidemystory.com/
- Nicole Lemelle, http://www.mynewnormals.com/
- David Lyons, http://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/ms-fitness-challenge/?dlpcode=sa
My MS Manager™, the first-of-its kind mobile phone app
created by the Multiple Sclerosis Association of America (MSAA) to
help patients with MS better manage their disease
*Articles, Links, Tips, Resources...
*Tips to Manage Your Muscles
*Spasticity--What it is & what to do
MS Fitness Challenge--Encouraging People To Overcome Multiple Sclerosis
Through Fitness and Nutrition
*"Are you Financially Protected in the Event of Disability?"
InforMS, Rocky Mountain MS Center
*“The Medication Map” (NMSS Momentum Magazine--Winter 2013/2014)
Article discusses the FDA approved Disease ModifyingTreatments
*MS Research Update 2016 (includes a chart of all current treatments)
*What You Need To Know About Lemtrada for Multiple Sclerosis (newer drug)
*"How Disability is Measured"
*Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS)
*“Is My Memory Normal?” (AARP The Magazine June/July 2013 pg. 45)
Very informative, extensive article about memory & the brain.
*"Multiple Sclerosis by the Numbers: Facts, Statistics, and You"
*How Do I Find A Doctor? Help Is Here! (excellent article!)
*Newly Diagnosed? Contact TurnFirst.org
TurnFirst is a unique partnership of top MS specialists and patients that provides a resource for learning about and living with MS. The site gives newly diagnosed patients, friends, & families a place to turn when they get the news.
*“Managing Bowel Problems that Accompany MS”
http://www.unitedspinal.org/msscene/2007/01/16/managing-the- bowel-problems- that-accompany-ms/
*“Controlling the Muscle Spasms of MS”
*"How temperature affects people with Multiple Sclerosis"
*"How to Boost Your Immune System"
*“Minding Your Mitochondria”
A view on eating better with proper diet - This video is for anybody, with/wo an illness
*“The Power of Sleep”
*Many links to resources to help persons with disabilities prepare for emergencies
*Solutions for Cooling Every Body
* Vitamins & Supplements Online/Health/Diet/VitaSouth
* Walking Canes
A website that has an extensive selection of cane types and styles.
*What is the real impact of MS in America?
* Yoga positions (click here)
A group that offers guidance in drafting these documents is Compassion and Choices
Americans with Disabilities Act/Legal/Employment
- ADA Guide:
- ADA & People with MS | Employment Issues
- Know Your Rights: A Legal Guide for People Living with Multiple Sclerosis
Associations: Multiple Sclerosis
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society (NMSS)
- Multiple Sclerosis Association of America (MSAA)
- Multiple Sclerosis Foundation (MSF)
- Multiple Sclerosis International Federation
- MSstation - MS station TV, Radio, Book Club
- The Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers
The leading educational and professional development organization for MS healthcare professionals.
- AIMS (Advances In Multiple Sclerosis)Created by the Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers (CMSC), Nurse Practitioner Alternatives (NPA), and The France Foundation. Provides high-quality, up-to-date information on advances in the treatment of MS.
- iConquorMS - a Patient-Powered Research Network (PPRN)
MSology is a free information service offering the latest research news on multiple sclerosis (MS), tips on living
with the disease, and practical advice to help in making decisions.
- Myelin Repair Foundation
- Well Spouse Association
Tel: 800-838-0879 732-577-8899
- Caregiving Resource Center--Information, tools and tips for caregivers (AARP)
- Clearinghouse on Disability Information
Special Education & Rehabilitative Services Communications & Customer Service Team
Tel: 202-245-7307 202-205-5637 (TTD)
- American Association on Health and Disability
The mission of AAHD is to advance health promotion and wellness initiatives for children and adults with disabilities. AAHD accomplishes its mission through advocacy, education, public awareness, and research efforts at the federal, state, and community levels.
- American Childhood Cancer Organization
- “Fibromyalgia: Invisible Pain is Real Too”
- Mesothelioma Group
- A very informative help guide to understanding cancer
Mesothelioma.net http://mesothelioma.net (free resources, support...)
Business Ideas For People With Disabilities
*Helpful educational resources and/or business ideas for people with disabilities
Doctors: Background Check (Profiles, Credentials, Ratings, Reviews)
- Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality: Patient & Consumer Services
- Healthcare Coverage: FAQ’S
- Medicare FAQs
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Affordable Care Act; Prevention/wellness; other HHS info
- The Costs of MS Treatment
- “Evaluating Health Information—MedlinePlus”
Lots of health information swirling around out there. How can you tell what's legit? Check out this resource for guidance.
How Acupuncture Can Help Treat Multiple Sclerosis
Benefits of Tai Chi for MS
https://www.healthcentral.com/article/benefits-of-tai-chi-for-multiple-sclerosis … MultipleSclerosis
- Coping with Stress Manual, along with a Guided Imagery Audio Track. This manual will will help individuals and their families to cope with stress.
- Be Active. National Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition
- Health Risk & Fitness Assessments/Calculators
Healthline—a health and wellness information site
- Positive Health and Wellness—this site has a variety of info to live a more positive, healthier, happy life
- Drug-Free Remedies for Chronic Pain
- The 5 Best Exercises for Chronic Pain
- MedlinePlus is the National Institutes of Health's Web site for patients and their families and friends. Produced by the National Library of Medicine, information is given about diseases, conditions, etc. in language easily understood. MedlinePlus offers reliable, up-to-date health information, free.
- Drugs.com provides accurate and independent information on more than 24,000 prescription drugs, over-the-counter medicines & natural products.
- Drugs, Supplements and Herbal Information
- Drug-Nutrient Interactions and Drug-Supplement Interactions | What You Need to Know
- Medical Dictionary
Descriptions of medical conditions, medications, anatomical terms, etc. are provided in this website.
www.thefreedictionary.com (click “Medical Dictionary”)
WebMD provides health information, tools for managing your health, and support to those who seek information. The content is timely and credible.
- FDA List of vaccines
- Autoimmune Disease Guide: Everything you Need to Know About Autoimmune Disorders
- The Use of Disease-Modifying Therapies (DMTs)in Multiple Sclerosis:
Principles and Current Evidence
- Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers
- Clinical Trials|MS
- Institute of Medicine
- MS Research Update
Published in April 2015, this update is a comprehensive overview of research findings on the FDA-approved disease-modifying therapies, as well as many experimental treatments
- Drug-Nutrient Interactions and Drug-Supplement Interactions | What You Need to Know
Social Security Disability Benefits/Medicare
To obtain information about Social Security Disability, you can call your local social security office, or go online at www.socialsecurity.gov. Another very informative site for this subject is www.NMSS.org
(Type “social security disability” in the search bar.)
Getting Extra Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Costs
Social Security Disability Benefits Guide
Social Security Disability Benefit Calculator
The U.S. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255), is a free, 24/7 service that can provide suicidal persons or those around them with support, information and resources. (Source: National Institute of Mental Health.)
- MS Friends
- Call 2-1-1
Similar to dialing 9-1-1 for emergencies, calling 2-1-1 helps people seeking training, employment, food pantries,
- Multiple Sclerosis Discovery Forum
An online community and information portal that aims to inspire connections and clinical advances
Treatments (DMT) - Pharmas
*Resource List of Co-Pay Assistance Programs (current as of 1/23/2015):
For Copaxone (Teva), your co-pay assistance source is Shared Solutions at:
https://www.copaxone.com/shared-solutions or call toll-free: 1-800-887-8100
For Avonex, Tysabri, and Tecfidera (Biogen idec), see MSActiveSource at:
http://www.msactivesource.com/ or call toll-free: 1-800-456-2255
For Betaseron (Bayer), see the BETAPLUS® patient support program at:
http://www.betaseron.com/explore-betaseron or call toll-free: 1-800-788-1467
For Gilenya (Novartis), see Patient Assistance Now at:
http://www.patientassistancenow.com/ or call toll-free: 1-800-245-5356
For Aubagio, (Genzyme) see the One to One program at:
https://www.aubagio.com/ms-one-to-one or call toll-free: 1?855?676?6326
For Rebif (Merck Serono), see MS Lifelines at:
http://www.rebif.com/rebif-financial-services or call toll-free: 1-877-447-3243
*Pharma co-pay programs are for commercially-insured patients only. If you have Medicare or Medicaid, call the same numbers to apply to charity organizations that will fund government-insured patients. Either way, they’ll get you covered.