- Articles/Useful Links
MS Views and News / Stu's Views & MS News
Provides education, information & resources for those affected by Multiple Sclerosis
ActiveMSers: Multiple Sclerosis and Motivation
Is designed to help, motivate, & inspire those with multiple sclerosis to stay as active as possible - physically, intellectually and socially - regardless of physical limitations.
MS Conversations (blog-MSAA)
"Best Blog 20/20 - Healthline (formally was MultipleSclerosis.net)
Register to stay informed on all the latest MS News, participate in forums...
Other MS Bloggers:
- Yvonne Desousa, http://yvonnedesousa.com/blog/
- Lisa Emrich, http://www.brassandivory.org/
- Nicole Lemelle, http://www.mynewnormals.com/
- David Lyons, http://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/ms-fitness-challenge/?dlpcode=sa
MS Fitness Challenge (Facebook Group
My MS Manager™, the first-of-its kind mobile phone app
created by the Multiple Sclerosis Association of America (MSAA) to
help patients with MS better manage their disease
MS & Exercising:
*Exercising with MS: The Complete Guide (NEW!!)
ActiveMSers – Dave Bexfield
*Coordination/Balance Exercises (Click here- PDF)
*Stretching Exercises (Click here-PDF)
*Lower Extremity Exercises (Click here-PDF)
*Home Exercise Program (Click here-PDF)
*Tips to Manage Your Muscles
*Spasticity--What it is & what to do
://multiplesclerosis.net/symptoms/stiffness-involuntary-muscle-spasms/ *MS Fitness Challenge--Encouraging People To Overcome Multiple Sclerosis
Through Fitness and Nutrition
*“The Medication Map” (NMSS Momentum Magazine--Winter 2013/2014)
Article discusses the FDA approved Disease ModifyingTreatments
*Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS)
*"Multiple Sclerosis by the Numbers: Facts, Statistics, and You"
*Nearly 1 Million Americans Have Multiple Sclerosis, NMSS Prevalence Study Finds
*How Do I Find A Doctor? Help Is Here! (excellent article!)
*"Bowel Changes in MS"
*"What is a Neurogenic Bowel?"
*"How to Treat a Fecal Impaction"
*“Controlling the Muscle Spasms of MS”
*"How temperature affects people with Multiple Sclerosis"
*"How to Boost Your Immune System"
*“The Power of Sleep”
*Solutions for Cooling Every Body
*What is the real impact of MS in America?
* Yoga positions (click here- PDF)
- Advance Medical Directives (Living Wills, Power of Attorney, Health Care Proxy)
- Compassion and Choices - Life/Care Planning and End-of-Life Options
Care Options and Programs-- comprehensive information to maintain independence &
quality of life, (Arizona or National)
- Guide on Financial Assistance and Funding for Assisted Living and Senior Care
- Guide to Home Ownership for People with Disabilities
The Fully Accessible Guide to Paying for College for Students with Disabilities
Americans with Disabilities Act/Legal/Employment
- ADA Guide:
- ADA & People with MS | Employment Issues
- Know Your Rights: A Legal Guide for People Living with Multiple Sclerosis
Associations: Multiple Sclerosis
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society (NMSS)
- Multiple Sclerosis Association of America (MSAA)
- Multiple Sclerosis Foundation (MSF)
- Multiple Sclerosis International Federation
- The Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers
The leading educational and professional development organization for MS healthcare professionals.
- AIMS (Advances In Multiple Sclerosis)Created by the Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers (CMSC), Nurse Practitioner Alternatives (NPA), and The France Foundation. Provides high-quality, up-to-date information on advances in the treatment of MS.
- iConquorMS - a Patient-Powered Research Network (PPRN)
MSology is a free information service offering the latest research news on multiple sclerosis (MS), tips on living
with the disease, and practical advice to help in making decisions.
- Myelin Repair Foundation
- Well Spouse Association
Tel: 800-838-0879 732-577-8899
- Caregiving Resource Center--Information, tools and tips for caregivers (AARP)
- Clearinghouse on Disability Information
Special Education & Rehabilitative Services Communications & Customer Service Team
Tel: 202-245-7307 202-205-5637 (TTD)
- American Association on Health and Disability
The mission of AAHD is to advance health promotion and wellness initiatives for children and adults with disabilities. AAHD accomplishes its mission through advocacy, education, public awareness, and research efforts at the federal, state, and community levels.
Business Ideas For People With Disabilities
*Helpful educational resources and/or business ideas for people with disabilities
Doctors: Background Check (Profiles, Credentials, Ratings, Reviews)
- Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality: Patient & Consumer Services
- Healthcare Coverage: FAQ’S
- Medicare FAQs
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Affordable Care Act; Prevention/wellness; other HHS info
- The Costs of MS Treatment
- “Evaluating Health Information—MedlinePlus”
Lots of health information swirling around out there. How can you tell what's legit? Check out this resource for guidance.
How Acupuncture Can Help Treat Multiple Sclerosis
Benefits of Tai Chi for MS
https://www.healthcentral.com/article/benefits-of-tai-chi-for-multiple-sclerosis … MultipleSclerosis
- Coping with Stress Manual, along with a Guided Imagery Audio Track. This manual will will help individuals and their families to cope with stress.
- Be Active. National Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition
- Health Risk & Fitness Assessments/Calculators
Healthline—a health and wellness information site
- Positive Health and Wellness—this site has a variety of info to live a more positive, healthier, happy life
- Drug-Free Remedies for Chronic Pain
- MedlinePlus is the National Institutes of Health's Web site for patients and their families and friends. Produced by the National Library of Medicine, information is given about diseases, conditions, etc. in language easily understood. MedlinePlus offers reliable, up-to-date health information, free.
- Drugs.com provides accurate and independent information on more than 24,000 prescription drugs, over-the-counter medicines & natural products.
- Drug-Nutrient Interactions and Drug-Supplement Interactions | What You Need to Know
- Medical Dictionary
Descriptions of medical conditions, medications, anatomical terms, etc. are provided in this website.
www.thefreedictionary.com (click “Medical Dictionary”)
WebMD provides health information, tools for managing your health, and support to those who seek information. The content is timely and credible.
- FDA List of vaccines
- MS Research Update
Published in April 2015, this update is a comprehensive overview of research findings on the FDA-approved disease-modifying therapies, as well as many experimental treatments
- Drug-Nutrient Interactions and Drug-Supplement Interactions | What You Need to Know
Social Security Disability Benefits/Medicare
To obtain information about Social Security Disability, you can call your local social security office, or go online at www.socialsecurity.gov.
Another very informative site for this subject is www.NMSS.org (Type “social security disability” in the search bar.)
- Social Security Disability Benefits Guide
- A Guide to Medicare Benefits
- Social Security Disability Benefit Calculator
The U.S. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255), is a free, 24/7 service that can provide suicidal persons or those around them with support, information and resources. (Source: National Institute of Mental Health.)
- MS Friends
- Call 2-1-1
Similar to dialing 9-1-1 for emergencies, calling 2-1-1 helps people seeking training, employment, food pantries,
- Multiple Sclerosis Discovery Forum
An online community and information portal that aims to inspire connections and clinical advances
DVC Stem offers the highest quality products and the latest available treatments for MS at their world-class Medical Center in the Cayman Islands. Protocols are IRB approved, and the cells come from regulated, U.S. based, FDA compliant laboratories.
Treatment consists of a two-day period including the IV transplant of 300M cord tissue-derived MSCs, as well as a variety of therapies
designed to aid stem cell activation and potency (chiro, physiotherapy, acupuncture, lymphatic massage, etc).
For Copaxone (Teva), your co-pay assistance source is Shared Solutions at:
https://www.copaxone.com/shared-solutions or call toll-free: 1-800-887-8100
For Avonex, Tysabri, and Tecfidera (Biogen idec), see MSActiveSource at:
http://www.msactivesource.com/ or call toll-free: 1-800-456-2255
For Betaseron (Bayer), see the BETAPLUS® patient support program at:
http://www.betaseron.com/explore-betaseron or call toll-free: 1-800-788-1467
For Gilenya (Novartis), see Patient Assistance Now at:
http://www.patientassistancenow.com/ or call toll-free: 1-800-245-5356
For Aubagio, (Genzyme) see the One to One program at:
https://www.aubagio.com/ms-one-to-one or call toll-free: 1?855?676?6326
For Rebif (Merck Serono), see MS Lifelines at:
http://www.rebif.com/rebif-financial-services or call toll-free: 1-877-447-3243
*Pharma co-pay programs are for commercially-insured patients only. If you have Medicare or Medicaid, call the same numbers to apply to charity organizations that will fund government-insured patients. Either way, they’ll get you covered.